Going in to an addiction treatment program or a medical detox can be very overwhelming, especially if you are traveling out of state. For some, it may be the first time on a plane, being out of state, and seeking help for the first time. Listed below is a general list of things to pack and prepare for when going to treatment.
Items to bring to an addiction treatment program:
- Enough appropriate clothing for 5-7 days (when traveling to a different state, be aware of the weather during that time, ie traveling to Florida)
- Personal hygiene products that DO NOT contain alcohol
- Any prescription medications you are taking (need to be in original bottle with original label that includes doctor’s name, name of medication, and dosage schedule)
- Electric Razor, blow dryer, or a curling iron
- Mp3 player with headphones
- Stamps and envelopes for writing letters
- Your own personal recovery books
- Socks, shoes, flip-flops, or slippers
- Coats, jackets, or sweatshirts depending upon the time of year
- Picture Identification (Driver license, passport, ID card)
- If you smoke, enough cigarettes to last a week.
- Appropriate bathing suit (if you’re traveling to a location where there will be pools and beaches)
Items NOT bring:
- ANYTHING containing alcohol (check labels of deodorants, mouthwash, etc.)
- Personal snacks
- Colognes, perfumes, or body sprays
- Inappropriate or pornographic material that is detrimental to recovery, such as magazines, pictures, DVDs, video tapes, etc.
- Clothing that depicts use, sales, promotion, or advertising of alcohol, drugs, or paraphernalia
- Weapons of any kind – including pocket knives
- Cameras or any electronic device that contains a camera (like a cellphone or iPhone)
- Computers or any electronic device that can connect to the internet
- Extension cords or power strips
- Soft drinks containing sugar including regular Coke or Pepsi and high caffeine energy drinks
- Sunflower seeds or any snacks that contain sugar or high fructose corn syrup (most snack foods are prohibited in treatment)
- Automobiles are not allowed at anytime (transportation is usually provided by the facility)
Any valuable items should be left at home!
If you are seeking addiction treatment, please contact Rock Recovery Center today to learn more about how to prepare yourself for entering a program.
[dt_button size=”medium” style=”default” animation=”none” color_mode=”default” icon=”” icon_align=”center color=”” link=”tel:8883226195″ target_blank=””](888) 322-6195[/dt_button]