Millions of people struggle with substance abuse in the United States every day. Unfortunately, only a small percentage of those people will receive any kind of treatment. The common misconception is that admitting you have a problem is admitting failure, when in fact you are just admitting that you have a disease. Here are some other facts about addiction that you might not know. As always, if you need help seek a recovery center in Florida.
- When heroin started requiring a doctor’s prescription in 1914, addicted users began scavenging junk metal to support their habit, thus coining the term “junkies”.
- 4 out of 5 heroin users started out by abusing prescription painkillers before switching to heroin because it was cheaper and easier to get.
- The U.S. has 5% of the world’s population but consumes 80% of the world’s opioid painkillers.
- More people die in the United States from drug overdoses than from car crashes.
- More than 65% of all prisoners in this country suffer from substance abuse or addiction.
- The U.S. government spends nearly $500 billion every year on addiction and substance abuse. Only 2 cents of every dollar goes to prevention and treatment.
- More than 2.5 million seniors (aged 65-79) abuse alcohol. That number will double by 2020.
Are You in Need of a Recovery Center in Florida?
If you or someone you know is in need of treatment, we want to help. At Rock Recovery we offer many different types of treatment methods. Contact us to learn more about how we can help you or a loved one today.